Networking is the most-recommended and least-understood part of job search.
If your main way of looking for a job is by answering online postings, you’re missing out on most of the hot opportunities.
Or if you do spend time networking – but it’s not working for you – read on.
“Employers fill the majority of job openings through the unadvertised, or hidden, job market.” (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
This is especially true of the best, “plum” jobs, and particularly in a weak economy.
The jobs you see posted online are the leftovers. Furthermore, these postings attract hundreds of applicants. Contrast this with a non-advertised job, where the applicant pool may consist of a just a handful of candidates – or one!
Networking is a major factor in roughly 75% of job offers.
This implies that you should be spending about three-quarters of your job search time on networking. Maybe you’re not doing this because:
- The networking you’ve done so far hasn’t accomplished much, or
- You’re an introvert and find it very stressful, or
- You have few contacts, don’t want to impose, don’t know what to say, or
- You don’t have time to go to mixers and other events, or
- You believe networking may work for other people, but it doesn’t seem to work for you.
I used to feel the same way. (I’m a bit of an introvert myself, by the way.) Then I discovered a method that can transform your experience of networking – and your results.
My approach is less stressful, far more productive, and beneficial for both parties. This approach shortens job search time. It involves using a target companies list as a focal point for your networking, and conducting relaxed yet productive one-on-one meetings that yield optimal results in minimal time.
This leads to inside contacts, valuable business intelligence about your target companies’ needs, work environment, hiring processes and personnel – and opportunities.
- A 1.5-hour coaching session to introduce this method, address any questions or concerns and prepare you for great networking experiences.
- A simple, one-page Personal Marketing Plan drafted by me within 48 hours after the session. (I will explain how to develop this document further as your job search progresses.)
- Two 30-minute follow-up sessions to motivate, guide and fine-tune your productive networking experiences.
- A desire to harness the power of networking to take you where you want to go.
- A willingness to take action based on what you learn.
The full package is only $395. Why so little? Because I want all of my clients to start reaping the crucial benefits of networking.
Ready to start? Contact me to make an appointment.
Thea Kelley Career Services